Monday 1 May 2017

~ Pdf/Print & CV portfolio ~

Within my talking to Fionn from Craft this year she told me it was really important to make a creative CV as soon as possible so for me this was one of the most important things to get done first. 

Information to include -

- A short description about who I am as a person and a designer
- Previous design relevant employment - dont include irrelevant jobs
- Well designed
- Design specific skills
- Education
- Hobbies
- Exhibitions i've taken part in



This is my final creative CV - I kept the design really simple, splitting it into 2 halves.

The left being the 'profile' area within the CV - featuring my photo and basic 'bio' and description of me as a designer.

The right, much larger side has a list of all the exhibitions i've taken part in, previous work experiance, skills and interests.

And lastly, my basic contact details and web links at the bottom and a big hello introduction at the top to initially draw people into reading it and its big, bold and positive which expresses my personality well.

My next step - also advised by Fionn from Craft was to stop relying on my Behance portfolio and also not even rely fully on my website - as employees like to see a full portfolio specifically tailored to them as a studio. 

In order to do so its important to have a PDF portfolio of your work. I decided as I also need a printed portfolio to take with me in actual interviews I could do two at once and produce a PDF portfolio that could also be effective as a printed version.

I ensured that I formatted it so the PDF was made up of spreads but once printed it could be folded and made into a printed book format also.

This first page shows my CV formatted into a spread as I feel this is an important feature to introduce the portfolio.


 The next few pages of my portfolio feature the few most recent exhibitions and zines/collaborations I have taken part in. This shows my forward and personal approach to being involved with projects outside of client and university lead briefs. It shows my keen-ness to meet people and get myself out there as a designer.
 I created a really simple layout for the main spreads of the portfolio - minimal, clean, adaptable and fluid grid system.

The grid includes a consistent four title labelling system - includes the name of the brief, client, type of brief etc. The layout allows for a range of images so either at a standardised size or bigger dependent on the importance of such. It then allows room for a small description about each brief. It gives the potential client or employer a real idea about the concept and thought process behind each one; demonstrating that I produce not just designs but ideas. 








The rest of these examples show the fluidity of the spreads grid and layout dependent on image format and amount of images per project. I ensure that the spreads are split seamlessly down the middle in order for me to eventually be able to print the final portfolio and take it with my to interviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment