Saturday 29 April 2017

~ DBA - Design development ~

Once the concept had been well considered and decided upon it was time for us to start designing. We had come up with a list of design styles/factors which we felt represented each personality type best and each chose a personality (best fitting our own) which we would then produce the design for.

This design would go on to represent the chosen personality type throughout all of the collateral - online, packaging, promotion, other. 

I was given Analyst - 

The list of design styles to consider/follow for this personality type being...
Avant Gard, structural, clean, architecturally inspired 

I was aiming to create something really structural and made up of really simple lines and shapes but composed in a really creative way. It should demonstrate imagination but in a bold and strategic way.

Because the design is a pattern it should be quite abstract and work when cropped to any size/format not to limit its potential for flexibility.

I did some initial research into forms of avant guarde design that I felt were appropriate. It was instantly clear the final outcome for this design needed to be digitally produced rather than hand rendered; it needed to be creative but also show perfectionism.








These are a few of the images I collected as inspiration for the design. Themes I noticed - simplicity but complexity at the same time. Bold lines and block shapes, mesh/structural grids, pattern, repetition. 





These were my initial design developments - I decided the symbol of the + was very symbolic and relevant to what our study drug was aiming to do - you + more.

I took the idea of creating something structural, simple and repetitive and created some designs where the + symbol was subtly spinning to creating something quite mesmerizing and alike an optical illusion. 

I did like this as a design as its really simple yet visually appealing. But I identified the issue that it looking like an optical illusion is a negative thing when branding drugs; its suggestive that the drugs could have hallucinogenic properties and this is not something that I want the design to portray at all. It needs to be safe, friendly and appealing. 


I decided to go for something much more expressive and imaginative; but still inclusive of structural elements, repetition and the iconic grid patterns I had seen when researching avant garde design. I used symbols that I felt were simple enough to not produce any underlying of suggestive meaning other than the structural and imaginative nature of those who have an analyst personality. It's simple but not as the same time and thats exactly what I was going for. I also added letters of the name we decided on dotted around within the design.



I experimented with ways of adding in the logo within the design and even the addition of the colours - but felt as a stand alone pattern it worked best and that an overlaying sticker with the logo/label would work best.

It meant I had to pitch the idea of having each of our 4 patterns in black and white only then all of them having a consistent label design which would tie them together into the one brand. The others agreed this would work best as otherwise our designs may not gel together well and could risk looking like 4 completely different brands/products. 




No comments:

Post a Comment