Tuesday 25 April 2017

~ Presentation script ~

Slide 1 - Hello! - This is my final personal logo as of the end of last year. Its stayed the same this year as my portfolio has expanded greatly and I feel this is what really represents me as a designer. The logo as just been functioning as a memorable add on at the ends of emails.

Slide 2 - This year however I have expanded the idea of having my logo and other online promotion animated to show new skills learnt in this field - I used the basic logo and animated it to include my website.

Slide 3 - I have been talking with the creative recruitment agency Craft throughout this year. Initially just going through my online presence as a designer and the tools I need in order to get a job after I graduate. The first piece of advice I was given was to rely less on Behance as although its a great tool its not the best for getting an actual job. 

Slide 4 - The first thing I did was to create a CV - simple but nicely designed. This is going to be a really importance template I can now use and edit according to changes in employment.

Slide 5 - I was also critted on using my Instagram account for both personal things and work purposes. So I made the decision to make my personal account private and create a new one just for design work - this is brilliant as i've already been offered a live collaboration opportunity/zine feature because of it. 

Slide 6 - My next really important move was to create my very own website - this has acted as the portfolio I have been sending to studios when applying to intern and been a really good tool for me so far. 

Slide 7 - I have also produced a template/pdf portfolio which gives a more in-depth look at my best briefs to send to clients. After graduation this will become my printed version of the portfolio - i've created something easily editable and adaptable that will work both digitally and in print.

Slide 8 - As part of my self promotion and as a way to introduce myself to both studios and potential clients - I created an 'introductory' illustration Hello. I created loads of screen prints of this to send out to studios and take with my as an example of work/gift in interviews. This has then gone on to be the image used on my business cards. It represents my style and interest in illustration and bright uses of colours really well so I think its much more effective than just using my logo alone on the cards. The cards are square format as this fits the artwork and also stands out among others - its also uv gloss printed for that added look of professionalism. 

Slide 9 - One of my personal goals for the year was to learn how to animate which has been successful. I wanted all my outreach and engagement with studios to show that this is a skill I have that makes me stand out - I created this simple gif to use at the begging of emails to say hello and began contacting studios in Leeds and Manchester looking to intern.

Slide 10 - Eventually my efforts to get an internship payed off and I was offered a placement with a recruitment firm called DanTech Talent. They were looking for someone to work as the in-house designer and expand their current brand identity onto all relevant platforms. This was a massive learning curve for me as I was working alongside people who didn't understand creativity at all and just knew their field of business. I learnt a lot but didn't find the experiance enjoyable - not being in a 'creative' environment wasn't for me and it showed me that working in a design/creative studio would be much more my thing going forward. 

Slide 11 - More positively my outreaches to studios has resulted in getting 2 internships for summer at Alphabet and Music in Manchester. There work is really up my street and I feel I will really enjoy working with them so this is something really positive thats come from this experiance. I have also applied for a job at Strawberry in Hull which is looking really promising; they are looking specifically to hire a graduate student and I have really close contacts with people already working there and creatives throughout the city that will make me a strong candidate. 

Slide 12 - This year has been a real turning point for me as i've developed a way I feel confident in working and it's given my portfolio the edge it was needing. I'd spent a long time trying to force myself into following a certain 'style' of design trying to find my creative voice but when I just let go and interpreted briefs in a new way I found a whole new and really individual style of working. With a focus on the use of shapes in different ways and how colours can be really strong, emotive and really change your work. It's a new way of working that hopefully will stand out to particular studios who also work similarly.

Slide 13 - The DBA brief was a really great opportunity to put forward my new found confidence in my own work and ideas. Our concept was really well thought out and completely different to the other groups. Each design decision was informed really finely by the brief and it proved to be a winning formula as I feel the final outcome is great both visually appealing and smartly thought out. I had previously not massively enjoyed working in groups as often id end up unhappy with the final outcome - but this time I made 100% sure that my opinion was heard and nothing offensively bad was part of the final design. haha.

Slide 14 - The first exhibition I took part in this year was Ferens open exhibition in Hull; I actually submitted one of the screen prints that I produced as part of PPP! And whats cooler is the woman who bought the print later found my details via my website and bought two more for her hallway

Slide 15 - The second was part of the Nest launch and was in Colours May Vary.

Slide 16 - The third was for Jessy Lanza at Leeds Print festival - this has possibly been one of my favourite briefs of the year as ive always been completely in love with traditional print techniques so to be a part of the festival was great - I also really challenged my screen print skills by doing a 4 colour print ... probably wont be doing that again haha

Slide 17 - I am also being featured in a feminist zine put together by a student at Manchester - the launch is at Islington Mill in Salford - this was proof to me that my online presence is good as she found my work online and contacted me directly asking if I wanted to submit some work

Slide 18 - Last year I created a manifesto - looking back now I was trying to be overly 'professional' and just trying to tick boxes rather than being true to myself. I did however illustrate it which was a great idea. This year I have re-written my manifesto to represent who I really am as a designer and this time animated each one. 

Slide 19 - 24 -These are my final manifesto rules...read rules

Slide 25 - Talk through the rough time plan and future goals

Slide 26 - My experiance at LCA has been transforming - I look back at my work from first year and the change is crazy - I hope to continue to change and improve as much as I go on into employment. I've met some amazing people and had great experiences. 


No comments:

Post a Comment