Thursday 8 October 2015

~ Study task 1 - summer - OUGD502 ~

Despite not doing a lot of creative work over summer I have still been massively inspired by my experiences and the new people I met. I worked in a drag bar and met a large group of entertainers challenging society's gender roles and generally spreading colour and happiness wherever they go. Just their makeup and handmade costumes were an artform but the most inspiring thing is their attitudes towards society and culture, they completely enlightened me into how fluid our personalities really are and taught me it's possible to have fun and be creative with who you are and identify as. This is extremely relevant to my personal practice because as a designer the world tries to push us into boxes (modernist, illustrator etc.) but this year I aim to not label myself under any category and instead just be create, vibrant and have fun with my work.






The creative work I did engage with over summer was all personally enhancing rather than for briefs. I took the quiet days in between work and drew things for friends. It was a chance to reconnect with the aspects of art that I find fun and interesting without anyone having to tell me to do them. I watched a lecture by Kate Moross who spoke about her work being inspired by childhood experiences and was inspired to do some potato printing which I felt was a really enriching thing to do. It was a chance to get really hands on and covered in paint which is something i'd lost touch with a lot during the first year of university. I also met an incredible illustrator and became really great friends with her, we did a live painting session at Hull Pride festival, painted a huge 2 wall mural and she inspired me massively to be more experimental with my materials and not label myself purely as a 'graphic designer or digital artist'.



No comments:

Post a Comment